We used whatever we could find around the house:
Here's what we did (though of course kids can come up with their own):
- For the grass "swishy swashy": they ran the broom along the floor.
- For the river "splash splosh": they shook their water bottles.
- For the mud "squelch squerch": they shook a container with a little jello in it.
- For the forest "stumble trip": they banged the pot with their spoons.
- For the snowstorm "hoooo woooo!": they blew into the top of an empty bottle.
- For the cave "tiptoe tiptoe": they banged the pot softly with their spoons.
The sound effects team in action:
This is a nice book to use with this activity because kids get to do the sound effects twice - on the way to the bear and while they're running away.