It's not like an ordinary lawn sprinkler isn't fun all on its own. Set the sprinkler up, put some sunscreen on the kids, and send them out hoping they'll be entertained long enough for all the grass dragged into the house to be worth it. But if you find your kids have grown bored with the sprinkler, you want to encourage some summer learning, or you have a group to entertain, there's sure to be an idea or two here for you.
1. Classic children's games take on a fun twist when you play them under the sprinkler. Try Duck, Duck, Goose, Ring Around the Rosie, or even Freeze Tag.
2. Have an alphabet hunt. This game isn't just for little ones learning their letters! With just a sprinkler and a set of waterproof letters, even adults can join in the silly water fun.
3. Give everybody a cup of the same size. The first person to fill their cup without touching the sprinkler wins.
4. Set up a bike wash, a toy wash, or even a kid wash under the spray.
5. Make your own water park. Move the sprinkler to the bottom of the slide or just far enough away from the swings that kids get wet only when they swing high enough.
6. Do some dancing. This is one of my preschoolers' favorites. We turn up the music and they dance under the spray. The Hokey Pokey sprinkler-style is lots of fun.
7. If you have a group of kids, try a sponge relay. Place an empty bucket for each team far from the sprinkler. Each team works together to fill their bucket using only a large sponge and water from the sprinkler. The first team to fill their bucket wins.
8. Turn an ordinary game of catch into something more refreshing by tossing a ball or Frisbee across the spray. Or try a game of Hot Potato with water balloons.
9. Play the sprinkler version of musical chairs. When the sprinkler is off, everybody runs and dances around the sprinkler. When the sprinkler is turned on, everybody must freeze wherever they are. Take turns manning the faucet or have an adult control it.
10. Set up an obstacle course around the sprinkler. Use things from around the yard to climb under or jump over. Have a station for jumping rope or playing hopscotch. Use water balloons or squirt guns to hit a target.
How do your kids like to play in the sprinkler?