I wasn't on Pinterest when my babies were born, so I feel like I missed out on a lot of fun ways to
- Take a photo of your child in the same place every year.
- Make a sign to announce their new grade level or write it in chalk on the driveway. There are even printables available from I Heart Nap Time and Botanical Paperworks.
- Have your child hold last year's first day of school picture.
- Capture the moment they meet their new teacher.
- Have them draw a self portrait each year.
- Plan something special. Or let the kids plan it. (My kids like to put together picnics.) This is also great time to cross off the last items on your summer bucket list.
- Make a time capsule of fun summer memories. Include photos, ticket stubs, or mementos from trips. Don't open it until after you've made another one next year.
- Make a back to school countdown like the one at Happy Home Fairy.
- Let kids help with the back to school shopping. Search the sale ads together and set a budget before you set out. (It's also great math practice.)
- Decorate some paper lunch bags together. Even if they have a lunch box, it's fun to surprise them occasionally with a bag they customized themselves.
- Make breakfast special. Put some candles in their waffle (one for each grade) and sing "Happy Back to School" to the tune of "Happy Birthday."
- Give a gift: A traditional German schultute is a cone filled with treats presented on the first day of school. A new book also makes a nice back to school gift.
- Tuck an encouraging note into their backpack. There's cute printables at Urban Bliss. Or make your own. The note from my mom that I remember best said, "You are a (pumpkin sticker). I (heart sticker) you."
- Pack a secret message banana in their lunchbox.
- Give them something to look forward to when they get home. Tell them you'll have a treat waiting (like these easy back to school cupcakes from Creative Southern Home), or water balloons ready, or whatever you think they'll like most.
Do you have special back to school traditions in your family?
Welcome to the Back to School with KBN Link Party featuring activities, crafts, supply ideas, recipes, organization, books, and MORE to get your family ready for the upcoming school year! Link up your kid-friendly posts to have them featured on 27 blogs: The Educators’ Spin On It ~ Baby Bump & Beyond ~ B-Inspired Mama ~ Blessed Beyond a Doubt ~ Busy Kids Happy Mom ~ Coffee Cups and Crayons ~Creative Connections for Kids ~EleMeNO-P Kids ~Fireflies and Mudpies~Growing Book by Book ~iGameMom ~JDaniel4’s Mom~Edventures with Kids~Kitchen Counter Chronicles ~Laly Mom ~Living Montessori Now ~Play Dr Mom ~Puttis World~Reading Confetti~Steve Spangler~My Buddies and I ~The Good Long Road ~The Pleasantest Thing ~The Stay at Home Mom Survival Guide~Tips From a Typical Mom ~Toddler Approved~True Aim Education
*By linking you agree to have your images shared with credit.
Linking to Discover & Explore